- Put the sugar and water into a saucepan, heat gently until the sugar has dissolved.
- Boil rapidly for 5 minutes - the mixture will become syrupy.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, blend the blackberries until smooth and then pass them through a non-metallic sieve (I used a bag, designed for jam making).
- Combine the syrup, lemon juice and blackberry puree, and leave it to cool in a fridge for 30 minutes.
- Poor the mixture into the ice cream maker, and use as instructed.
I first used this recipe with a combination of gooseberries, red currants and blackberries, but it wasn't as good as this simpler recipe.
Try adding some sloe gin next time.