Cheese and Spinach Flan
- 115g Buttor
- 225g Flour
- 1/2 tsp English Mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 115g grated Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Egg
- 1 Eggs (beaten) for the glaze. (3 eggs in total)
For the Filling
- 450g frozen Spinach
- 1 Onion
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
- 225g Cottage Cheese
- 2 large Eggs (beaten)
- 50g Parmesan Cheese
- 150ml Single Cream
- Salt & Pepper
Preparing the dough
- Rub the butter and flour until breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the mustard powder, paprika, salt and cheddar cheese.
- Bind to a dough with 3-4 tbsp water.
- Kneed until smooth.
- Wrap, and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
Preparing the filling
- Put the spinach and onion. Cover and cook slowly.
- Season with the nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Turn into a bowl, and leave to cool slightly.
- Add the cottage cheese, beaten eggs, parmesan cheese and single cream.
Putting it together
- Roll out 2/3 of the pastry, and use to line a 23cm flan tin. Press it well into the edges. Remove excess pastry.
- Spoon the filling into the flan case.
- Preheat the oven to 200C
- Roll out the remaining pastry to half the width of the flan tin.
- Use a lattice pastry cutter, and then place on top of the flan.
- Brush the joins with egg glaze. Press the edges together and trim off the excess
- Brush the top with egg glaze.
- Bake on a tray for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.
Serve hot or cold.