Couscous With Halloumi and Courgette Ribbons
Taken from Page 327 from the Vegetarian and Wholefoods Bible.
- 275g Couscous
- 500ml boiling Water
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 large red Onion
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 1 tsp mild Chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground Cumin
- 1 tsp ground Corriander
- 5 Cardamon pods
- 50g whole toasted Almonds
- 1 Peach
- 25g Butter
- 3 Courgettes
- 225g Halloumi cheese
- Salt and Pepper
- Chopped fresh flat leaf Parsley to garnish
- Toast the almonds
- Cut the courgette into thin strips lengthways
- Chop the onions
- Chop the garlic
- Place the couscous, cinammon, bay leaf and 1tsp of salt in a bowl an pour in the boiling water. Leave to stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the onion and garlic. Saute for about 7 minutes, till the onion has softened, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chilli powder, cumin, and cardamom pods (cracked open with the back of a spoon).
- Cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Add the couscous, toasted almonds, diced peach and butter.
- Heat through for 2 minutes.
- Brush a griddle pan with olive oil, and heat till very hot. Turn down a little and add the courgette slices. Cook for five minutes till slightly charred, turning once.
- Cook the slices halloumi in the same pan.
- Remove the cinammon stick, bay leaf, and cardamom pods from the couscous.
- Arrange on the plate, with the courgette and halloumi placed on top. Sprinkle with parsley.
I used one thin red chilli, with most of the seeds removed instead of the chilli powder.
I didn't have cinammon sticks, so used ground cinammon.
I didn't have a griddle pan, so cooked the courgettes in a dry frying pan. It took ages to cook, and I think I should start to cook them much earlier.