- 450g Gooseberry (top and tailed)
- 175g Self Raising Flour
- 100g Butter
- 100g Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1-2 tbs Milk
- Sift the flour for the streusel topping into a bowl.
- Add the butter in pieces and mix together until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs.
- Add the sugar and set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar until soft and light.
- Lightly mix the eggs and vanilla essence and add to creamed mixture a little at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Gently fold in the sifted flour a little at a time, add the milk with the last addition of flour and mix until blended.
- Pre-heat oven to 350F/180C/Gas mark 4.
- Line a 20cm backing dish with greased, greaseproof paper.
- Spoon cake mixture into prepared dish and spead level, then cover with the fruit.
- Sprinkle the streusel topping over the fruit.
- Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour.
- Allow to cool in the dish before removing.
Beware : The bottom burnt before the top turned golden.
Try Rhubarb instead of the gooseberries.