Hot Cross Buns
Page 440 in the Bread and Bread Machine Bible.
- 210ml Milk
- 1 Egg
- 450g White Bread Flour
- 1 1/2 tsp Mixed Spice
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 50g Caster Sugar
- 50g Butter
- 1 1/2 tsp Yeast
- 75g Currants
- 25g Sultanas
For the Glaze
- Pour the milk and egg into the bread pan
- Sprinkle over the flour, ensuring it covers the liquid.
- Add the mixed spice and cinnamon.
- Place the salt, sugar and butter in separate corners of the pan
- Make an indent in the centre of the flour, and add the yeast.
- Set the bread machine to dough and press start.
- Add the dreid fruit five minutes before the end of the kneading period. (25mins see Bread Machine).
- When the dough cycle has finished, remove form the machine and place on a lightly floured surface.
- Knock it back (punch it down) gently.
- Divide into ten pieces.
- Cup each piece in your hand, and shape into a ball.
- Place on a prepared backing tray and cover with oiled cling film.
- Leave to prove for 30-45 minutes or until almost doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, preheat an oven to 200C (gas mark 6).
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until golden.
- Meanwhile, heat the milk and sugar for the glaze.
- Stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Brush the glaze over the top of the hot buns.
- Turn out on a wire rack to cool.
I use 3 tsp of spices in total, and it still wasn't a spicy as it could hve been.
A batch seemed to lack a little sugar.