- Grate the zest of the lemons into a saucepan.
- Add the sugar and water, heat slowly till the sugar dissolves.
- Boil for 5 minutes (the mixture will become slightly syrupy).
- Remove from the heat, and allow it to cool.
- Add the lemon juice and strain the liquid through a non-metallic sieve (I used a cloth bag designed for jam making).
- Lightly beat the egg whites and stir them in.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Tip into the ice cream maker, and follow its instructions.
The original recipe used more sugar