Spiced Tomato Chutney
- 2 Onions, finely chopped
- 3 Garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 Red Sweet Peppers, halved, de-seeded and finely chopped
- 1 Red Chilli, de-seeded and diced
- 1 kg Ripe Tomatoes, chopped
- 450 ml malt or white wine Vinegar
- 350 g soft light brown Sugar
- 100 g Raisins
- 1 level tsp black Mustard seeds
- 2 level tsp smoked Paprika
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- 1/4 tsp ground Cloves
- Put all the ingredients in a large pan or a preserving pan and stir together.
- Bring slowly to the boil, stirring from time to time to make sure the sugar has dissolved.
- Cook the chutney at a medium simmer for 1-2hr, stirring occasionally, or until it becomes thick and jammy.
- It's ready when a wooden spoon drawn through the chutney leaves a clear channel with just a little bit of juice.
- Spoon the chutney into sterilised jars and cover with a piece of greaseproof paper and the lid.
- Store in a cool dark cupboard for at least one month to allow the flavour to develop before using, and eat within three months.