Tomato and Blackberry Chutney
Makes 4 jars
- 1 kg ripe Tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 200 g Onions, chopped
- 100 g Raisins or Sultanas
- 250 g Cooking Apples, peeled, cored and coarsely chopped
- 300 g Sugar
- 225 ml Vinegar
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp ground Allspice
- 1/2 tsp ground Ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- Place all the ingredients in a large stainless steel saucepan and heat gently until the sugar has dissolved completely.
- Bring to the boil, stirring, then simmer on a low heat, stirring regularly (to make sure the mixture does not burn on the bottom of the pan) for about 1 hour or until thick and pulpy.
- Pour into hot sterilised jars and cover.
- This is best left to mature for 1-2 weeks before eating if possible.