- Sprinkle the sliced aubergine with salt. Place in a colander. Cover, and place a weight on top.
- Leave for at least 30 minutes to allow the butter juices to escape.
- In a saucepan, simmer the stock, lentils and bay leaf for about 20 minutes, until the lentils are tender, but not mushy.
- Drain and keep warm.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil to fry the onion, garlic. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the lentils, mushrooms, chick-peas, tomatoes, tomato purée, herbs and 3 tbsp water.
- Bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Rinse the aubergine slices, drain and pat dry. Fry in a small amount of oil in batches for 3-4 minutes, turning once to brown both sides.
- Season the lentil mixture.
- In a large dish, add alternating layers of aubergine and lentil mixture.
- Beat the yogurt, eggs, salt and pepper, and pour over the dish.
- Sprinkle with grated chedder.
- Bake for 45 minutes at 180°C, until the topping is golden.