- Wash the rice in several changes of water, and soak for 30 minutes
- Heat the oil in a large pan.
- Fry the cumin seeds for 2 minutes
- Add the bay leaves, cardamom, and cloves. Fry for 2 minutes
- Add the onion and fry for 5 minutes until soft and slightly brown.
- Stir in the carrot and cook for 3 - 4 minutes
- Drain the rice thoroughly add to the pan with the peas, sweetcorn and cashew nuts. Fry for 4 - 5 minutes
- Add 475ml water and the ground cumin and salt to taste.
- Bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes until all the water is absorbed.
- Leave to stand, covered before serving.