Pumpkin Soup with Rice
Serves: 6 | Prep: 20 mins | Cook: 45 mins
- 1 kg Pumpkin
- 2 tbsp extra virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Onions, chopped
- 1 tsp mild Curry Powder
- 2 Garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 fresh, hot green Chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 litre Vegetable Stock
- 175 g Risotto Rice
- a little hot vegetable stock (optional)
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh Coriander
- Salt and Pepper
- Peel the pumpkin and remove the seeds and fibres from the centre. Rinse the seeds and reserve. Cut the pumpkin flesh into cubes.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the onions and curry powder, and cook over a low to moderate heat, stirring frequently, for 15–20 minutes or until the onions soften and start to caramelise.
- Add the cubes of pumpkin, the garlic and chilli, and stir to coat with the onion mixture. Pour in the stock and add 5 tbsp of the rice. Bring to the boil, then cover the pan, reduce the heat and simmer for 25 minutes or until the pumpkin and rice are very soft.
- Meanwhile, bring a saucepan of water to the boil, add the remaining rice and simmer for about 15 minutes or until just tender. Drain in a sieve, rinse lightly under cold water and leave to drain again.
- Preheat the grill to moderately high. Spread out the pumpkin seeds on a baking sheet in a single layer and toast under the grill for 3–5 minutes or until golden and aromatic, turning them several times. Set aside.
- When the pumpkin and rice are soft, pure the soup, either in a blender or food processor, or using a hand-held blender directly in the pan.
- Stir in the cooked rice and season with salt and pepper to taste. Reheat gently. If the soup seems too thick, stir in a little hot vegetable stock or water. Stir in the chopped coriander and serve.