- 1 Aubergine, sliced
- 1 Courgette, sliced
- 2 Potatoes, sliced
- 1 Onion, sliced
- 1 Garlic clove, minced
- 1 tbs Vinegar
- A tin of chopped Tomatoes
- Half a tin of Lentils, drained (save the juice)
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 cup Feta, crumbled
- Sprinkle the slices of aubergine with salt, and let site for at least half an our to draw out the bitterness. Rinse off the salt.
- Preheat your oven to 375C.
- In a large pan, brown the aubergine and courgette. Remove from the pan, then do the same thing with the potato slices. Also remove from pan.
- Saute garlic and onions until browned. Add vinegar, tomatoes, lentils, half of the canned lentil juice, and oregano. Cover and simmer on medium to low, for about 15 minutes.
- In a casserole dish (9x13 inches), place a layer of the cooked aubergine, courgette, potatoes, onions and feta cheese. Pour some the tomato and lentil mixture over all the sliced vegetables. Add another layer of vegetables, then sauce. Make sure the top layer is vegetables.
- Bake for about 25 minutes.
- While it is baking, make the topping. Mix together butter, flour and milk. Bring to just boiling, while whisking. When it is thick and smooth, add nutmeg. Remove from heat and let the mixture cool for about 5 minutes. Mix in the beaten egg.
- Remove the vegetable portion from the oven and pour on the sauce. Top with parmesan cheese and continue to bake for another 30 minutes.
Serve with a fresh side salad or rolls for a one-dish dinner.
Browning the veg took longer than I imagined.
I used fresh tomatoes, rather than tinned, and replaced the lentils with butter beans.
Works very well with rosemary Egg Bread.